Self Awareness and Healing
It has become very common to have distractions all around us. We have distractions that distract us from boredom, pain (both physical and emotional), work, and we even have distractions that distract us from other distractions! (Anybody play on their smartphone while watching a movie or tv show?)
I am not saying that having these distractions are always a negative thing, but what I do want to point out is that I have seen more and more people LACK AWARENESS of what is going on in their bodies. Is this because of the extra distractions we have? I don’t think 100%, but I do think it feeds into our lack of awareness.
WHAT IS SELF AWARENESS?
There are many ways to describe this or talk about this. One term is KINESTHETIC AWARENESS. By definition, the word kinesthetic is a derivative of the word kinesthesia. The formal definition of kinesthesia is: awareness of the position and movement of the parts of the body by means of sensory organs (proprioceptors) in the muscles and joints.
In other words, feeling HOW you move. Not anatomically, or physically how you move, BUT the quality of your movement.
- 1. Did you move in the way you expected to move?
- 2. What was the quality of your movement?
- 3. Where did you feel tension, stress, stretch, pain?
- 4. At what point in the movement did you notice a change in the quality of the movement?
- 5. What structures feel like they are limiting your movement from being better than what it is?
Follow along the next post, or two, and we will explore this more. Why is being “self aware” important for your health? Does it make a difference in your healing?